- Online Classroom
- In Focus
- More Diplo Sites
In recent years, we have increased the number of partnerships on various projects. In 2009, we won a highly competitive tender with the European Union to provide capacity development in Internet governance and policy to Asia-Caribbean-Pacific (ACP) countries (find out more). We are increasingly approached by emerging and developing countries to provide services financed by these countries (e.g. Mexico, South Africa, Bahrain, and India).
We are always interested to hear suggestions for new partnerships, especially in the fields of Internet governance, climate change, migration, and diplomacy training. Please contact us.
Our partnerships include:
- [New] At the end of 2015, Diplo signed a memorandum of understanding with the African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) on capacity development in Africa. This agreement aims to facilitate online capacity development training in Africa, offered in partnership by Diplo and the Learning Network on Capacity Development (LenCD), and other capacity development activities.
- [New] In cooperation with the Center for Education Diplomacy, Diplo is exploring the emerging concept of education diplomacy through awareness-raising events and the development of a new online course.
- [New] Diplo is a partner member of the MAPPING project, aimed at creating an all-round and “joined-up” understanding of the many and varied economic, social, legal and ethical aspects of the recent developments on the Internet.
- Diplo hosts and operates the Geneva Internet Platform, an initiative of the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and the Federal Office of Communications, which fulfils the mission of an observatory, a capacity building centre (online and in situ), and a centre for discussion.
In June 2006, Diplo was granted Special Consultative Status with the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
We play an important role in a number of global networks, including the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) and the Information & Knowledge Management (IKM) Emergent Research Programme.
We have been involved with the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) since its inception in 2002, contributing courses, publications, and awareness-building activities.
Our academic programmes are run in cooperation with the Department of International Relations at the University of Malta, which is also our accrediting institution. In Malta, we also cooperate in various international initiatives with our sister institution, the Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies.
Diplo is a member of the International Forum on Diplomatic Training, a group of around 80 diplomatic training academies and institutions worldwide and hosts the Forum’s website.
In Geneva, we cooperate extensively with the Graduate Institute of International Studies, the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP) and the Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) in educational and other activities.
Diplo is a member of European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes.
Diplo is one of the founding members of the European Diplomatic Training Initiative, which brings together leading European institutions delivering training in diplomacy, European, and International Studies.
Working within a tripartite agreement signed in 2009 by the governments of Mexico, Malta and Switzerland, we provide online training for Mexican diplomats and works together with the Instituto Matias Romero (the Mexican Diplomatic Academy) in developing and running new online training courses in Spanish and English.
We work with the training institutions of national governements (including South Africa, Bahrain, and Azerbaijan) to offer customised online and face-to-face diplomacy training programmes.
- Diplo has been contracted by the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Switzerland for Internet-related projects as well as other initiatives, including CD Pacific and Asia-Europe Public Diplomacy Training Initiative.
- Since 2013, Diplo has worked with the IG Middle East North Africa (IGMENA) programme at Hivos to offer an online introduction to Internet Governance in the MENA region. Since 2014, we have offered an Introduction to IG in Africa online course in cooperation with the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD).
- In cooperation with GSMA Capacity Building, we have developed and run an online capacity development course on child online protection, aimed at staff of telecommunications regulatory authorities worldwide.