An X-ray of the 2020 UN General Assembly debates
Thursday, 8 October 2020, 13:00–14:00 UTC
Join Diplo’s researchers on their deep dive into policy priorities, discussion framing, and the overall rhetorics of the 75th Session of the UN General Assembly’s (UNGA 75) high-level segment.
The last ten days highlighted how much the practice of diplomacy has adapted to our changed circumstances. Unlike in the previous years, this time around, world leaders delivered prerecorded statements. The Diplo research team closely monitored these statements with the help of text analysis tools and artificial intelligence (AI).
In this one-hour briefing, you will learn more about:
- Shifts in conference diplomacy
- Interplay between COVID-19 and the key themes in statements delivered by world leaders
- Digital developments on the UNGA 75 agenda
- Potentials of using AI for text analysis and generation
The session will be moderated by Dr Katharina Hoene (Director of Research, DiploFoundation), and will build on the insights of researchers from our AI and data labs: Ms Natasa Perucica, Ms Katarina Andjelkovic, Ms Andrijana Gavrilovic, and Mr Jovan Njegic. We will also be joined by Ms Stephanie Fillion (a reporter specialising in internationals affairs based at the UN headquarters in NYC and a regular contributor to PassBlue).
In the preparation for the session, please consult:
- the blog post The UN General Assembly: Digital diplomacy in action?, which summarises our key findings; and
- our Speech Generator AI-application, which highlights the potential role of AI in supporting diplomatic speech writing.
E-see you on Thursday, 8th October 2020!
The registrations are now closed. You can follow the event live on YouTube: