The Geneva Briefing on Internet Governance will take place on the first Tuesday of every month. If you would like to get a regular ‘zoomed-out’ update of the major global IG developments, join us for the first webinar briefing from Geneva within the Geneva Internet Platform project on Tuesday, 4th February 2014 at 13.00 CET.
In an increasingly complex political environment with a plethora of actors, dialogue initiatives, and policy discussion platforms – all searching for a magic formula for IG – the briefings aim to provide a regular zoomed-out view of global trends providing a summary of the previous month’s key developments and a look at upcoming events and expected developments.
The briefings from Geneva are particularly intended for those who want to get a clear and coherent picture of the busy IG schedule and key developments in the field, in order to better participate in the global IG process. Diplomats and other professionals have an opportunity to receive quick and comprehensive updates on digital policy developments – at once, instead of following hundreds of blogs, articles, reports and initiatives in order to make sense of all of it.
The first webinar will take place on Tuesday, 4th February 2014, at 12.00 GMT (13.00 CET).
A typically dull month when it comes to IG developments, January 2014 was nevertheless a very interesting one featuring
- the controversial US appeals court decision against net neutrality which once again questions the future of this debate and the open Internet.
- the founding of the 1Net initiative as an (online) discussion platform connecting various constituencies and, hopefully, feeding discussion summaries into various policy processes.
- the World Economic Forum which had IG high on its discussion agenda, including an interim meeting of ICANN’s High Level Panel on Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms (GICGM) and the launch of the Global Commission on Internet Governance.
- a hectic set-up of a complex structure of committees for the organisation of the São
Paolo meeting in April.
In February, we will being to see accelerated preparations for the various events this year:
- A MAG meeting of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Geneva, starting the preparations for the 9th IGF taking place in Istanbul in the autumn, in what is an important (even critical) phase for the future of the IGF.
- A meeting of ICANN’s High Level Panel on GICGM in the USA, when the first draft of its report will be released for open consultation and submitted for consideration for the São Paolo meeting;
- An ITU Open Consultation on the WSIS+10 High-Level Event as a preparatory process for the April high level meeting.
- …and more.
To get a better idea of the plethora of initiatives, consult the background reading.
Webinar digest and the recording are available at this link.
To stay informed about the Geneva Briefings on IG, subscribe to our Webinars mailing list.