So far, most polls are predicting a defeat for the incumbent president Nicolas Sarkozy. But his energetic campaign and his focus on the need for France to have a vigorous leadership may reap political reward.
Join the e-briefing with our Diplo Fellow Richard Werly live from the presidential campaign in Paris, where we will try to answer the following questions:
- Can Sarkozy be beaten and why?
- What have been the surprises of the presidential campaign so far?
- What can we expect on the international scene from his main contenders, from socialist
- Francois Hollande to extreme right Marine Le Pen?
- Beyond the presidential election, can France, a country ridden by debt and public deficit, manage to avoid being pressured by the financial markets?
- Is the Franco-German partnership within the EU real?
- Is France a weakened country, with less and less effective diplomatic power?
Join us on Wednesday 18 April at 13GMT
Attendance is free. Registration is now closed.