The Geneva Briefing on Internet Governance takes place on the first Tuesday of every month. If you would like to get a regular ‘zoomed-out’ update of the major global IG and digital policies developments, join us online for the webinar briefing from Geneva within the Geneva Internet Platform (GIP) project on Tuesday, 3 June 2014 at 13.00 CET.[New] The webinar recording is now available here:
You receive hundreds of pieces of information on digital politics.
We receive them, too.
We decode, contextualise, and analyse them.
Then we summarise them for you.
Join us once a month for a round-up of the main IG-related events and developments. Every month, we look back at what happened and look ahead to what’s to come.
Our previous webinar provided an overview of April’s developments and an insight into May’s expectations.
The next webinar will take place on Tuesday, 3 June 2014, at 13.00 CET.
Registration is now closed
We will reflect on several IG developments in May, including:
- .amazon rejected: The application for the new generic Top Level Domain (new gTLD) .amazon has been rejected by ICANN, after the consensus-based request of the Government Advisory Committee (GAC)
- Net neutrality remains on the stage: United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) proposes rules about the future of the “Open Internet”
- ‘Right to be forgotten‘: European Court of Justice ruled Google has to amend search results to exclude “outdated” and “irrelevant” personal data
- Cyber-espionage: Mutual accusations between US and China ended with suspended activities of the China-US Cyber Working Group
- ICANN’s High-Level Panel final report: Panel On Global Internet Cooperation and Governance Mechanisms released key recommendations on how to evolve IG ecosystem
- CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation: Stalemate on “roles and responsibilities”
- IGF Multistakeholder Advisory Group meeting: discussions on IGF outcomes and the agenda of Istanbul meeting
- ITU Open Consultation for the WSIS+10 High Level Event: Drafting the WSIS+10 output documents
- Stockholm Internet Freedom: Is surveillance an Internet Governance issue?
- Geneva Internet Platform: “Peacetime Regime for State Activities in Cyberspace” book presentation with NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence, and workshop on “Diplomatic Reporting in the Internet Era”
We will look ahead to June:
- WSIS+10 High-Level Event: 10-13 June in Geneva
- EuroDIG: 12-13 June in Berlin
- ICANN50 Meeting: 22-26 June in London
- GIP events in Geneva: “The role of governments in Internet governance” panel, 12 June; “Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies” discussion, 13 June; “Internet as a Critical Resource for Pacific Island States“, 18 June
The webinar will be hosted by Dr. Jovan Kurbalija.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
To stay informed about the Geneva Briefings on IG, subscribe to our webinars mailing list.