The WSIS Forum 2015, with the theme Innovating Together: Enabling ICTs for Sustainable Development, will be held on 25-29 May 2015, at the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Place des Nations, 1211 Geneva 20, Switzerland. The agenda and programme for the WSIS Forum 2015 will be built on the basis of official submissions received during the Open Consultation Process on the Thematic Aspects and Innovations on the Format of the WSIS Forum 2015. The GIP will host a session: Engaging digital actors – Fostering effective digital policy – Monitoring digital governance
Internet governance (IG) is presently at a crossroads. The international community must address the risks and vulnerabilities faced by governments, corporations and citizens; while still ensuring digital growth and innovation.
- Because Geneva is one of the main hubs where digital policies are debated, evaluated, and adopted. And because it has the potential to become a prominent hub for this digital debate: a place where innovations are fostered, where policies are debated, and where leaders, experts, and decision-makers meet regularly. Furthermore, it is a place where solutions are born and implemented.
- Because small and developing countries need a centre for Geneva-based digital policy processes, where they can find resources and formulate strategies for success.
- Because a neutral and inclusive space for digital policy debates must be available to Geneva’s international stakeholders.
- Because activities of the Geneva-based IG and ICT institutions and initiatives deserve to be supported by the GIP’s activities.
- Because outreach beyond and among the existing policy silos in policy and research (e.g. technology, security, human rights) must have a comfortable, risk-free home.
- Because International Geneva will benefit from tools and methods for in situ and online engagement that could be used by other policy spaces.
GIP’s activities will be implemented based on three pillars:
- A physical platform in Geneva
- An online platform and observatory
- An innovation lab
The WSIS Forum 2015
The WSIS Forum 2015 represents the world’s largest annual gathering of the ‘ICT for development’ community. The WSIS Forum, co-organised by ITU, UNESCO, UNDP and UNCTAD, in close collaboration with all WSIS Action Line Facilitators/Co-Facilitators (UNDESA, FAO, UNEP, WHO, UN Women, WIPO, WFP, ILO, WMO, UN, ITC, UPU, UNODC, UNICEF and UN Regional Commissions) has proven to be an efficient mechanism for coordination of multistakeholder implementation activities, information exchange, creation of knowledge, sharing of best practices and continues to provide assistance in developing multistakeholder and public/private partnerships to advance development goals. This forum will provide structured opportunities to network, learn and participate in multi-stakeholder discussions and consultations on WSIS implementation.
ITU, UNESCO, UNCTAD and UNDP welcome all WSIS Stakeholders to the WSIS Forum 2015 to be held on 25-29 May 2015. This event builds upon the tradition of annual WSIS May meetings, and its format is the result of open consultations with all WSIS Stakeholders. Emerging trends in 11 WSIS Action Lines both in terms of Policy and Technology are produced as an Outcome of WSIS Forum in a multistakeholder environment on an annual basis. The WSIS Forum 2015 Open Consultation Process on the Thematic Aspects and Innovations on the Format aims at ensuring the participatory and inclusive spirit of the WSIS Forum 2015 by actively engaging governments, civil society, the private sector and intergovernmental organizations in the preparatory process. The Agenda and Programme of the WSIS Forum will be built on the basis of the official submissions received during the Open Consultation Process. Further information will be available soon after the Open Consultations period has ended.
More details on the Open Consultation Process are available here, whereas details and updates on the WSIS Forum 2015 are available on the dedicated website.