DiploFoundation participated in the session on ‘Two-speed cybersecurity in the Western Balkans?’, as part of the Belgrade Security Forum (BSF), the lead regional forum discussing security policy. The event, on 13 October, 18.00 – 19.30 CEST, was organised by Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces [DCAF], in cooperation with Diplo.
The discussion points for Session 4 on ‘Two-speed cyber security in the Western Balkans?’ included the following topics:
- How do the existing strategic and legal frameworks for cybersecurity perform in practice: what works, what does not work? What are the experiences from developed countries? What is the situation in the region?
- Why is there such a difference in the development of effective cybersecurity amongst the countries of the region?
- Which key events, circumstances or actors help to advance cyber security policies?
- What are successful governance models already tested in the region, which show how cybersecurity policies can be discussed in a transparent manner, and lead to evidence-based regulations?
- Border-limited governments and borderless businesses-how can they work together, can they trust each other?
- How can we make sure that good policy plans are also implemented successfully and including all relevant stakeholders?
- Robert Kosla, Lt. Col. (Ret.)‚ Microsoft CEE Area Director, Public Safety and National Security and Defence
- Olivera Injac ‚ Assistant Professor, University of Donja Gorica, Montenegro
- Vladimir Radunović‚ Director of E-Diplomacy and Cybersecurity, DiploFoundation
- Nebojša Jokić, Head of the CERT Team, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Republic of Serbia
- Moderator: Franziska Klopfer‚ Project Coordinator, DCAF
For more information, visit the BSF website.
The report “Cybersecurity in the Western Balkans: Policy gaps and cooperation opportunities”, produced by DiploFoundation in cooperation with DCAF and with support of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) of Switzerland, was presented at the session. Full report and the illustrated executive summary are available here.