- Online Classroom
- Topics in Focus
- More Diplo Sites
IN FOCUS: E-participation month (21st May - 19th June 2013)
E-diplomacy platform provides space for discussion on impact of the Internet on diplomacy, a rich source of research on e-diplomacy, and access point for e-diplomacy training. Bookmark this page to keep abreast of what's happening in e-diplomacy!
“My God, this is the end of diplomacy.” Such was the reported reaction of Lord Palmerston, British Prime Minister, on receiving the first telegraph message in the 1860s. Diplomacy has survived the telegraph as well as subsequent technological innovations, such as the radio, telephone, television, and faxes. Every new major technological device has prompted reactions similar to that of Lord Palmerston. Today, the Internet poses the main challenges for diplomacy.
Diplo focuses on three aspect of an interplay between Internet and diplomacy: Internet driven-changes of environment in which diplomacy is conducted; emergence of new topics on diplomatic agenda (Internet governance); and use of a new Internet tools in the practic of diplomacy (e.g. social media). Cumulatively the Internet is having a profound effect on the two cornerstones of diplomacy, information and communication.
E-diplomacy project addresses impact of the Internet on diplomacy through research, courses (online and in situ), policy discussions and publications.
How can you participate?
- Join the online discussion on e-diplomacy. Connect with other members and share your ideas and experiences on e-diplomacy
- Join the "Geneva E-diplomacy Platform" initiated during the Geneva E-diplomacy (November 2012)
- Subscribe to the mailing list of the e-diplomacy platform
- Follow us on Twitter or visit our Facebook page
- Contact us at: ediploinfo at diplomacy dot edu
E-participation Day: towards a more open UN? (19th June 2013)
[Webinar] E-participation (21st May 2013)
- Press release: Geneva E-diplomacy Day: Opportunities and Challenges for Diplomacy in the Internet Era (16th November 2012)
- International conference on "Innovations in Diplomacy" (Malta, November 2012)
- 20 years of e-diplomacy (1992-2012)
- Summary of the 2010 E-diplomacy Initiative
- Timeline of Diplo's e-diplomacy activities
- Background information on e-diplomacy
- Mapping e-diplomacy
- Capacity development in e-diplomacy