Address: Electronic Frontier Foundation | 815 Eddy Street | San Francisco CA 94109 | United States of America
Stakeholder group: NGOs and associations
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is a nonprofit organisation working in the area of enhancing, promoting and protecting human rights and fundamental freedoms (such as freedom of expression and privacy and data protection) in the online environment. EFF's activities include impact litigation, policy analysis, grassroots activism, and technology development.
The work of the Foundation is currently focused on the following dimensions:
- free speech: defending the Internet and its open architecture as a platform for free speech;
- fair use and intellectual property rights: defending the balance between fair use and intellectual property legislation (copyright, trademark, etc.), and ensure that the Internet and digital technologies continue to empower users as consumers, creators, innovators, scholars, and citizens;
- innovation: protecting innovators and promoting creativity and competition;
- privacy: promoting and defending the privacy rights of individuals in the digital environment, and supporting thde development of privacy-enhancing technologies;
- international activities: defending privacy, freedom of expression, digital consumer rights, and innovation at a global level, through capacity building activities, campaigns against legislative proposals and Internet treaties and conventions that threaten to undermine human rights, and advocacy to convince companies and governments to uphold human rights standards and the rule of law; and
- transparency: demanding for and promoting transparency at a governmental level.