Access Now is a non-governmental organisation working in the field on digital civil rights. The activities of the organisation cover three main areas:
- Policy. Access Now is developing policy guidance to assist governments, corporations and civil society in the elaboration and implementation of practices and policies that respect human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- Advocacy. Through its advocacy campaigns, the organisation promotes its policy positions within public entities and private corporations, and mobilizes global Internet users to stand for their rights.
- Technical support. Access Now also provides technology solutions and advice for Internet users at risks, in circumstances where communications are not open, free, or safe. A Digital Security Helpline is available 24/7 to provide technical guidance and incident response to inform and support activists, journalists, human rights defenders, and other civil society actors.
- Business and human rights. Activities in this area are meant to determine companies to make their practices more transparent, accountable, and rights-respecting.
- Digital security. Access Now’s aim is to ensure that online activities of Internet users are private, safe, and secure.
- Freedom of expression. The organisation works on promoting the right to freedom of expression, as a fundamental right of both individual users and journalists.
- Net discrimination. Activities in this area include advocacy for the net neutrality principle and for a free and open Internet.
- Privacy. Many activities of the organisation are focused on promoting and defending the right to privacy.